Reports to the Director of Reliability
Why Are We Hiring
Being a professional is hard. Not only do you need to be an expert in your field but you then need to worry about how you communicate, manage your time, store and share information, keep your data secure, make your tooling reliable, and a million other details. Filevine dreams of a day when all of these details are taken care of so that professionals can get back to focusing on what they love.
We are building our team because we recognize that to make good on that dream we need the help of amazingly talented people like you.
- Curiosity, a willingness to learn, a passion to continually improve, and unbridled enthusiasm to make things better everyday without the need to be directed to do so
- A bachelors degree in computer science, information systems, a related field; comparable certifications; or equivalent direct work experience
- 3 years of Systems Administration, Software, DevOps, or Reliability Engineering experience
- Experience working with Git
- Experience with algorithms and data structures
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work projects as part of a larger team
- Experience working in any of the following cloud providers: AWS, Azure, GCP, DigitalOcean
- 2 years of Systems Administration or DevOps Engineering experience and 2 years of Software or Reliability Engineering experience
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and the ability to debug the full stack
- Proven programming skills in two of the following programming or scripting languages: Python, Go, PowerShell, or Bash
- Deep understanding of operational principles
- Experience with Containers, Kubernetes, Redis, Elasticsearch, MSSQL, CI/CD Tools
- Experience automating environment setup using Terraform or container specific tooling
- Proficiency in AWS
About the Team, Job and Hiring Process
To achieve the dream of allowing professionals to focus on what they love Filevine products need key features. They need to be reliable, scalable, performant, cost effective, secure and they need to have a way to recover in the event of a disaster.
The Reliability team is responsible for thinking through these problems and engineering solutions to them. We hire excellent engineers who apply software engineering to these problems to create autonomous systems that take care of these details for us. We use the principle of continuous improvement to make each iteration of these autonomous systems better than the last.
The state of our autonomous systems are nascent with the foundational pieces either recently having been completed or currently under development.
As a Site Reliability Engineer you will be embedded with a cross functional team who has key responsibilities for certain portions of our systems. Over the course of the first year you will gain the valuable context needed to be truly effective and move at speed in the Filevine environment. During your successive years you will be given specific mission critical objectives that help build out and improve our autonomous systems and simultaneously build out your personal brand as an exceptional engineer who has built and maintained amazing systems that can grow to internet scale.
We will not sugar coat things. This job is hard. Being on call is no picnic. It is frustrating to watch as systems you have built and maintained for years suddenly and inexplicitly break in new entertaining ways. You will be stretched and pushed in ways that you could never have imagined. Without being ever vigilant this is the type of position you can quickly and easily burn out in.
Our interview process is hard too. We will review your application and if it looks like you can handle yourself we will send you the SRE challenge. The challenge is a set of coding objectives that combine many of our every day tasks. You will be expected to complete the challenge within 5 business days. You should expect to spend several hours over the course of that time putting together your solution. If your solution matches what we saw in your application we will then have you interview with various members of the team before making our final decision.
We believe we are the best team at Filevine both from the perspective of how close we are to each other and how much value we provide the company. We do the work no one else wants to do because we love it. We love the challenge, we love the pressure, and we love the mission, we love making the complex seem simple. Just like we aim to make being a professional easier we spend time and energy making engineering life at Filevine a little better every day too.
If that sounds like your cup of tea apply now, we can't wait to talk with you in person.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the team by
- Developing autonomous systems that manage the details necessary to build, deploy, test, and operate all Filevine Inc. products
- Being the voice of Reliability on your team throughout the SDLC
- Developing playbooks, tools, and scripts to streamline processes and shorten problem resolution time
- Identifying and fixing gaps in the availability of systems
- Improving and defending the security of software and systems
- Documenting and diagramming processes, procedures, and best practices
- Finding, learning, improving, or creating new tools that are reliable, usable, and helpful to enable other engineers to perform their work more efficiently
- Work within an assigned team to complete duties as assigned
- Work either individually or in conjunction with other engineers to complete assignments
- Be part of an on-call rotation with other team members to provide 24/7/365 production reliability support
- Be part of an on-call rotation with other team members to provide escalated emergency support for the services your team owns
- Communicate frequently, clearly, and effectively with various technical and management audiences
Filevine is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualifications for employment, promotion and other terms and conditions of employment are based upon the ability to perform the job. Equal-employment opportunities are provided to all applicants and employees without regard to race, creed, religion, color, age, national origin, sex, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected class. Filevine is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need assistance or accommodation due to disability, or if you have concerns related to Filevine's equal employment opportunities, you may contact us at email@example.com